Sunday 6 April 2014

Little teacher lady

I see her on Sundays. The little lady selling the Sunday paper on the corner of an intersection near where I live. She exuberantly waves at everybody driving or walking past. I have never seen her without a smile - one of those smiles you can see from a distance away and that brightens your day.

Of course I smile and wave back. I don't think many would be able to resist smiling and waving back.

She is modestly dressed in slacks and the T-shirt from the paper for promotion, but never shabby. Her hair is clean and neatly trimmed, and although old age has started showing a slight stoop, she holds herself well. She does not look tired or sad, does not invoke pity.  She is proud and not ashamed. And she shares it with all.

I don't care about the Sunday paper. But I will buy from her - as I'm not buying the paper, but I'm receiving her joy and her presence. Buy the paper, as she does not need my charity in the form of donations. She provides it. The paper is the symbol for what I'm getting from her. The learnings.

She is a teacher. We learn from masters, universities, books, accredited forums, the internet and plenty other sources. Wonderful sources. But we sometimes overlook the best teachers. The ones who show us real, simple life; who teach us to have a simple grateful, joyous attitude, despite obvious financial and probably other difficulties. She teaches how to give and to enrich and to heal.


I think that is real happiness.

Love and light.
Celeste x

No comments:

Post a Comment