Sunday 30 March 2014

Kisk ass in style

Trawling through social media and blogs today, I became aware of the theme I'm picking up on today. Our awareness goes what we focus on, and for a few days I have been pondering the notion of fitting in, or conforming to the expectations of society (or not!). So the thread I'm noticing today is one of don't ask for permission, just go out there and do it.

Actually that is not true. I have not only thought of "fitting in" for the last few days. I have been thinking that my whole life. As long as I can remember, my biggest desire was to fit in, to be accepted, to be one of "them". To blend in and to disappear. To lose or not develop my individuality. These last descriptions only dawned upon me once I finally gave up the struggle (and it was a struggle!) to fit in. Oh, of course I respect boundaries and have a very healthy sense of what is appropriate (behaviour, dress, language etc.) in any given situation, or rather, most of the time <chuckle>.

So I'm wondering how many of us sometimes feel a bit restricted by what society expects of us. Or actually, our perception of what society expects of us. We constantly worry what others think of us. And I guess we all know "others" (society, they) don't give a hoot really. Because "they" are too worried about what others think of them. But still we keep that safety blanket over us and for some of us that blanket becomes h-e-a-v-y.

So throw it off. It is very liberating to celebrate your individualism. Many of us long to do it. But, there is a big BUT. You have to do it with style and confidence. If you want to portray the message that you don't care (within healthy social parameters) for fitting in, your whole being should reflect that. You have to stand tall in your uniqueness.

So, the message I got today was to not ask for permission (from who again???), but to go out there and do it. And I'm adding....."but do it with charisma, courage and guts!" If you're going to kick ass, kick ass in style!


PS - you want to share stories of how-to, let me know, happy to share experiences.

Love and light,
Celeste

No comments:

Post a Comment